In the past, Nate and I have done a week long detox, loosely taken from the book "The 7 Day Miracle Detox." I say loosely, because I sped read the book on the floor of a Barnes and Noble like 7 years ago when there were still Barnes and Nobles. Technically, you're supposed to fast for 2 days, eat only fruit day 3, add vegetables day 4, add rice day 5. I'm pretty sure there are no legumes involved too, so no refried beans, or anything like that. Anyway- back in the day, I made it through 12 hours of fasting before my body shut down. I have a bit of a rapid metabolism, and apparently that was my limit. So, this time, I skipped the fast and went straight to fruits.
Day 1, I just had fruits. Smoothie, apple, plum, grapes. I declared coffee (and chocolate, thanks to a friend) a fruit at 1:00pm, when a massive headache overtook me. At dinner, I did have some veggies, though my concoction was gross, so not many.
Day 2, Fruits and Veg. Much easier, though I was definitely starting to get, um, irritable? By dinner time (oh, and it was a hard day:)) I may or may not have devoured a piece of multi grain bread with my all-vegetable soup. So, major cheat, but momma was becoming a bear.
So, by the end of day 2, I was expecting a change in, well, you know, how clean I was. And honestly, nothing. Except a headache. My hubby reminded me that we really haven't been eating horribly (which we haven't) and there's a good chance I didn't need "cleansed." This may be true. We haven't eaten a lot of meat, the dairy we do eat is milk, cheese and plain yogurt and we are a spinach and broccoli loving bunch. This may be all in vain.
Day 3. We made cookies. For the over-worked staff at our massive apartment complex. I may or may not have tried
Day 4, Is actually tomorrow and we already have plans to eat at new friends, who are strangers, house. Therefore, I will definitely be breaking my detox by 6:00 day 4. But finishing out the week strong:)
In my defense and to my families credit, we have devoured a ton of fresh, green veg this week, basically eaten vegan and gluten free minus legumes (though I've given the kids cheese and yogurt), and no one's really complained. I spent not as much as I usually spend in groceries, even though everything I bought came from the produce section. We still have plenty, and other than tomorrow, we will keep eating this way through Sunday.
Advice on a detox: Do it. It's been really good for me, if nothing else, to learn to reach for fruits and veg for snacks and fillers instead of prepackaged (even if it's "healthy") stuff.
If you have kids, give yourself liberty. Like Monday, I had such a huge headache, I couldn't keep parenting properly without caffeine. And a smattering of dark chocolate here and there. 95% of what I have consumed has been fruits and veg, but I have felt no guilt over that 5%!
Now, go eat healthy! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment