Wife, Mom, Friend, Helper, Babysitter, Listener, Gardener, Canner, Cook, Chef, Landscaper, Daughter, Student, Maid, Botanist, Biker, Cleaner, Recycler, Fowler, Mower, Granddaughter, Conservationist, Runner, Bug Killer, Leader, Seamstress, Composter, Organizer, Traveler, Dish Washer, Volunteer, Contractor, Health Nut, Purist, Slackliner, Bargain hunter, Neighbor, Sister, Organic, Exercise fanatic, Teacher, Trash collector, Aunt, Green, Homesteader...
Mine aren't just titles... they are heavy weights that I put on every day, and for some reason or another, I feel like I need to, or want to fulfill all of them to the fullest. If I don't I'll be letting myself down, my family, my friends! Absolute insanity! AND... drastic disappoint at the end of every day when I haven't. Oh, the weight of all my 'things' calling my name! The demands! ...
... That I put On Myself.
"Come to me... all ye who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
I know this by heart. (As a matter of fact, I sang it in Handel's Messiah... solo... back in the day). I apparently don't believe it. I only have one title that matters. ONE. Single. One.
Christ Follower
There are a lot of good things listed up there. Things that lots of people would say are noble and good. But I'm trying to accomplish them on my own! I can't! But I can rest...
Cease striving, and know I am God...
My kids are not God. My husband is not God. My home, my stuff, my "responsibilities"... NOT God. This first. Christ first. And everything else will follow. I know it. I've experienced it. I just have to live it. How simple! How beautiful! How freeing! Lord, help me!
No comments:
Post a Comment