I have no idea...
So, Nate and I just finished reading this book. I feel like I should say something about it, because I'm pretty sure it's going to alter our lives significantly. Here were are biggest realizations.
1) First, he defines the gospel correctly. Not like we like to tell it to make people feel comfortable (pray a prayer, go to church, get to heaven), but what is really is. I'll quote him...
Our understanding of who God is and who we are drastically affects our understanding of who Christ is and why we need him. For example, if God is only a loving Father who wants to help people, then we will see Christ as a mere example of that love. ... Many people have died for their faith....did these men and women in Christian history have more courage than Christ himself? ... 'My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.'
The 'cup' is not a reference to a wooden cross; it is a reference to divine judgment. It is the cup of God's wrath.
This is the gospel. The just and loving Creator of the universe has looked upon hopelessly sinful people and sent his Son, God in the flesh, to bear his wrath against sin on the cross and to show his power of sin in the Resurrection so that all who trust in him will be reconciled to God forever.
2) If we really believe that, shouldn't our response be more than good behavior and church attendance? Again I quote...
... the gospel demands and enables us to turn from our sin, to take oup our cross, to die to ourselves, and to follow Jesus. These are the terms and phrases we see in the Bible. And salvation now consists of a deep wrestling in our sould with the sinfulness of our hearts, the depth of our depravity, and the desperation of our need for his grace. Jesus is no longer one to be accepted... but one who is infinitely worthy of our immediate and total surrender.
3) We have mixed our American dream mentality into the gospel, into who we think Jesus is, how we think God wants us to live. In reality, God doesn't care if I have 2 cars, own a home, am making a certain amount of money, etc. What He does care about is His name being proclaimed and Himself being given glory. Check out what Ezekiel 36 says...
This is what the Sovereign Lord says: It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am going to do these things, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you have gone. I will show the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, the name you have profaned among them. Then the nations will know that I am the Lord, declares the Sovereign Lord, when I show myself holy through you before their eyes.
So the point of our faith is not to enjoy Jesus for ourselves (and our comfortable lifestyles). The glory of God is to be seen by everyone... that they may experience his grace in their lives as well.
This is getting lengthy, so I will leave with two more quotes, because this drives most of the book, and should drive our lives.
... when I look for a church, I look for the music that best fits me and the programs that best cater to me and my family. When I make plans for my life and career, it is about what works best for me and my family. When I consider the house I will live in, the car I will drive, the clothes I will wear.... This is the version of Christianity that largely prevails in our culture.
The message of biblical Christianity is "God loves me so that I might make him- his ways, his salvation, his glory, and his greatness- known among all nations." Now God is the object of our faith and Christianity centers around him. We are not the end of the gospel, God is.
That's the thrust of the book. Then to go with the, you know, "radical" theme, the author challenges people to make some significant changes in the way they live and view life. Not Americanized Christianity. Biblical Christianity. Herein lies the massive potential for change in our lives.
Read the book. It's under $10 on buy.com, or go get it from your library, or order some for all your friends. That's what we're thinking about doing. If you've read it, let me know. If you have thoughts, let me know. The gospel is the most important thing to me, so I like to talk about it a lot.... :)
I've never read the book but I'm intrigued by your quotes from it. He makes such a good point about Americanizing the gospel. whoa. Life has taught me (the hard way) about how it's not about me and my desires and wishes but it's about glorifying God in all things. This is way easier said than done and I'm constantly finding places where this isn't true in my life (boo)....but the grace of God is so patient to keep prodding me to deeper places where HE is central in all my life and I am not near that center---only in my pursuit after Him. This is all pre-8am and hopefully it's semi understandable! thanks for sharing, kates.
ReplyDelete<3
my brother-in-law nick goes to this guy's church, LOVES him. i definitely want to read the book, i think josh has it on his bookshelf. thanks for reminding me about it!! great quotes.
ReplyDeletehey katy...sweetwater here! saw your link on fb and thought id join in on your fun! we started reading radical too. didnt get too far yet. steven loves it! actually got him to sell his playstation! :] anyway, congrats on the new baby!
ReplyDelete