Saturday, January 18, 2014

Whittling Away

This summer we went from a nice 4 bedroom house, with huge playroom and family room, to a 2 bedroom (crappy, but that's not what this is about;)) apartment.  Secretly, or not so secretly, I have always been a minimalist.  If I feel like it's extra, unused, or excessive, said item is quickly evicted from this household!

Or so I thought.

We downsized A LOT to move here.  And after 4 months of living among extra unopened boxes, I downsized some more.  To the tune of 4-6 large moving boxes.

We're about to move to another apartment/town home.  It is a smidge bigger, and much more family conducive than where we're currently living, but I'm hoping and planning that by the end of the week, the only thing we'll have in boxes are Christmas ornaments and camping gear.  Boom!

I've discovered I hoard interesting things like pasta scoops and knives.  I use, like, 2 knives but have had 30.  Pillows.  I am staring at a chair piled with 6 bed pillows that are for no one's bed I know!  Strange bowls in the kitchen I think I'll use for a fancy occasion.  I guess if I haven't had a fancy enough occasion in the 8 years of our marriage to use them, they should have been evicted 6 years ago.

Candle holders.  Seriously.

Movies that we've stared at and passed over for years.

If you haven't read the book Seven, by Jen Hatmaker, you should.  It's good.  Premise: We are excessive people and she and her family tried not to be.  Read it.  I did, and it fueled my minimalist flame.

I've been reading /memorizing the sermon on the mount (for over a year, please don't be impressed) in Matthew chapter 5 and following.  Jesus is really big on me being free from my possessions.  He spends a ton of time telling us not to worry about tomorrow, not to worry about (specifically) my clothes or my food, or even our water (which is applicable to us Californians, who are now experiencing the biggest drought in 100 years, but I digress).  Jesus says "seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you."

I love it.  I'm trying to live it.  If stuff stresses me out, or takes precedence over my time with Jesus and teaching Him to my kids, or loving my husband... it's gone. For me, that's all the stuff I think I may use someday, when in fact, Jesus says he's got tomorrow covered.

Be free!  Go raid a closet and your kitchen drawers!

 (I think Goodwill is not meant for the people who work there, or benefit from what they find, but it's actually named specifically for the people who get to unload their burdens there;))


No comments:

Post a Comment